Friday, February 6, 2009

Personal reflection on Bloom's Taxonomy and VAK

Bloom’s taxonomy - "Life Time Learning; Life Time Bloom"

The last lecture revised the Bloom’s taxonomy again with more thorough explanation. Some of us may find difficult and confusing when the first time we study this taxonomy. Yet, the “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” reminded us that the Bloom’s taxonomy had been applied to us since we were in primary school. After a quick review of my learning throughout my whole life, I realize that the Bloom’s Taxonomy can be applied on us even since we were in kindergarten.

In the first few lessons in kindergarten, we have to learn and remember the letter A, B, C, D etc…At that time, we were so small that only know to recite but not to understand. This is the knowledge. After we learnt some vocabulary, we were able to translate the English letters into Chinese, and this is comprehension. Then, we tried to choose and use the vocabulary, constructing them into a complete sentence and communicate with others. This is the application. After that, we read a lot, learnt a lot, and became able to analyze the choosing of words and able to compare the good and bad passage. This is analysis. Combining our ideas, we were then able to write and construct a well-organized passage for other to read and appreciate. This is the synthesis level. (By the way, do you guy think that writing our blogs is at this level? And commenting others blogs is at evaluation level? Any idea? :D ) Afterward, we began to judge other, may be like doing those proof-readings. This is evaluation.

Now, I recognize that one bloom’s taxonomy can be applied on us throughout our whole life and in our whole life, there may be many many many bloom’s taxonomies!



VAK - "Today one little step, Tomorrow a big step"

The last lecture also talked about the VAK Learning styles. Although it is quite useful for us to evaluate which learning style suit us, can it be use to facilitate our learning in schools/colleges in these days? The learning environment constrains students a lot.


We all know that if we would like to get high grade in school, the prerequisite is we must get along with the syllabus, do what it wants us to do. For example, if I am a kinesthetic learner, can I study beyond the classroom? If yes, what should I do if I’m a visual learner? Go with them or stay behind? In fact, in our real life, we cannot choose.


We know there are different learning styles, but how can we or the educationist best utilize those knowledge? I suggest that the classes may be categorized according to different learning style with different unique syllabus correspondingly. I’m sure if the studying environment can be adjusted to different learning styles, the students in the future must be more brilliant and luminous.

6 comments:

  1. hi~I totally agree with your opinions that the concept of Bloom's taxonomy is already appeared when we are in the kindergarden. I am impressed with your examples of the seven stages, like in the evaluation stage, we can judge whether there are any grammar mistakes through proofreading. Also, I think that we can compare the results of some issues through exprient in some science lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kam,
    Thanks for your comment!
    You're right!I'm a science student previously too. We have to compare various results and data frequently. So as I said, Bloom's taxonomy can apply and appear anywhere.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's right that learning styles can be a reference for the educationist to design the syllabus. However, I think there are still many factors or even obstacles affecting how the syllabus is designed, e.g. resource allocation. It's a long way to go but we are waiting for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =] I agree that writing our blog is at the synthesis level, as we have created our own entry for the reflection. For commenting others’ blogs, I think it involves analysis and evaluation (maybe even more). It’s because when I give the comment, the first thing I would like to do is to interpret what’s the writer actually means, compare my thought to the writer’s and finally make judgment (i.e. the comment).

    About the last paragraph, do you mean that divide the students (according to their different learning styles) into different classes and then the educationist provides different unique syllabus correspondingly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, You are right.
    After reading your sharing, I remember my learning also follow the bloom's taxonomy, especially the language subjects.
    For me,it is hard to arrive at the synthesis level or more , since I don't like learning language. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Blooms' taxonomy is pretty well explained. What is your idea about the revised taxonomy?

    ReplyDelete